AKA dark comedy, this is a genre of film where the humor is derived from topics and themes that are generally considered to be “serious” like death, racism, abortions, war and murder. Examples of dark comedy films include FARGO, DR. STRANGELOVE, SHAUN OF THE DEAD, BAD SANTA, FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS. A great example is the TV show THE BIG C which finds the humor in cancer.
- The Hollywood Reporter’s Roundtables – Emmy 2016 Edition
- Get to Know Your Characters by Giving Them a Questionnaire
- How the Box Office Really Works
- What’s the Difference Between an Overall Deal and a First Look Deal?
- What Does it Mean to “Slip a Script” and Why Do People Do It?
- Hollywood Reporter Roundtable Discussions For Your Viewing Pleasure
- Five Films That Prove There Are No Rules When It Comes to Script Structure
- 8 Habits of People Who Always Have Great Ideas
- “Get In Touch With Your Inner 12-Year-Old” and other Directing Tips From Sam Mendes
- Insightful Emmy Round Table Discussions From The Hollywood Reporter