For all you writers out there, here’s a list of cliched dialogue lines that you should not necessarily avoid, but just be aware of when you’re writing. Sometimes, despite how often you hear these lines, they’ll work great for the story you’re trying to tell. But other times, try to find original ways for your characters to convey their dialogue. Any others that were left off the list? Feel free to share with us!
1. Try me
2. This is your destiny.
3. Donde esta [insert english word]por favor?
4. I was born ready.
5. Are you sitting down?
6. – Is that all you got?
– I’m just getting started.
7. Cover me. I’m going in.
8. No, no, no, no, NO! I’m not going. [Cut to them going.]
9. No. Come in. ____ was just leaving.
10. We’ve got to stop meeting like this.
11. (Greeting) Well, if it isn’t ____.
12. I’m just doing my job.
13. – You’ll never get away with this!
– Watch me.
14. Now . . . where were we?
15. How hard can it be?
16. You go girl!
17. What part of _____ don’t you understand?
18. Don’t even go there.
19. Is this some kind of sick joke?
20. Oh haha, very funny.
21. Did I just say that out loud?
22. It’s just a scratch.
23. – How is he?
– He’ll live.
24. . . . and there’s nothing you or anyone else can do to stop me!
25. You say that like it’s a bad thing.
26. Note to self . . .
27. What seems to be the problem, Officer?
28. What’s the worst that could happen?/ What have we got to lose?
29. I have a bad feeling about this.
30. Don’t you think I know that!
31. Whatever you do, don’t look down.
32. We’ve got company.
33. Oh that’s not good.
35. What just happened?
36. We’ll never make it in time!
37. – Stay here.
– No way, I’m coming with you.
38. Okay, here’s what we do . . . [and cut to a different scene]
39. Try to get some sleep.
40. Hi, sis.
41. Wait! I can explain! This isn’t what it looks like.
42. That’s it! You’re off the case!
43. In English, please.
44. – What are you doing here?
– I was about to ask you the same thing.
45. This just gets better and better.
46. Shut up and kiss me.
47. Not on my watch!
48. You just don’t get it, do you?
49. It’s called ____, you should try it sometime.
50. That went well!
As seen on mentorless.com.